ALMS CHARGER/DISH WITH MOTTO “IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE”
STAMPED TO BASE “PRESENTED TO ST. GEORGE’S CHURCH BY CHARLES SMITH AND CAROLINE R. HANNINGTON, XMAS 1889”, COX & SONS, LONDON
DIMENSIONS: D – 39CM
COX & SONS, 1837-1881
An “ecclesiastical warehouse” at 28-9 Southampton Street, off the Strand. By 1872 the firm was listed as a Gothic and monumental metalworks in Lambeth and stained glass manufacturer in Covent Garden, and described itself as an artistic furniture manufacturer, Japanner and cabinet carver. The catalogue stated that the firm had acquired much of the stock of furniture and designs by Edward Welby Pugin (the eldest son of Augustus Pugin) for Granville hotel and working drawings from the Society of Decorative Art of Great Marlborough Street. Cox & Sons commissioned furniture, metalworks, stained glass and ceramic designs from a nmber of leading designers including B.J. Talbert, John Moyr Smith and E.W. Godwin.