The House of Givenchy is renowned for its pared down, elegant jewellery which echoes the simple lines of its clothes.
Hubert de Givenchy (b. 1927) trained with Elsa Schiaparelli, and founded his company in Paris in 1952. He went on to dress Jacqueline Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn. During the 1950s and 1960s some of his jewellery was supplied by bijoux de couture manufacturers Societé Madeleine Riviere and Roger Jeanpierre in Paris, and Borbonese in Turin. During the 1950s, pieces often featured sparkling diamantés and Venetian glass beads. In 1960, Givenchy bought plastic jewellery and buttons from Paco Rabanne, and the company’s jewellery continued to use Lucite and other plastics into the 1980s. Later pieces tend to be substantial, and feature silver- and gold-plating, faux pearls and pastes. Most jewellery is marked with the company’s name.
Hubert de Givenchy retired in 1995 and several designers have headed up the label, including John Galliano. Ricard Tisci became the label’s designer in 2005.
A gilt and paste collar sold by The Design Gallery features in Judith Miller’s new book Costume Jewellery.